Activated Photofacials with ALA
For a Consultation call 530-246-0236
Dr. Reece is pleased to offer you the most advanced, non-invasive light technology available today...The Photoderm IPL Laser®. Dr Reece now offers Photofacial™ treatments for rosacea and aging changes of the face. Photoderm also removes unwanted hair.
PHOTO DYNAMIC THERAPY WITH (ALA) LEVULAN
WHAT IS AN ACTIVATED PHOTO FACIAL?
Special treatments performed with an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) combined with a topical clear solution called Levulan, (5-aminolevulinic acid-ALA) combined with the right wave length of light is called photodynamic therapy (PDT). This is now nicknamed "ALA/PDT Treatments." These treatments remove sun damaged pre-cancerous zones and spots called actinic keratoses. Sun damage, fine lines, and blotchy pigmentation are also improved because of the positive effect of Levulan and the laser light treatment. ALA/PDT treatment also has the unique ability to shrink pores and oil glands, effectively treating stubborn acne, rosacea, and some acne scars.
HOW MUCH IMPROVEMENT CAN I EXPECT?
Patients with severe sun damaged manifested by actinic keratoses, texture, and tone changes including mottled pigmentation and skin laxity may see excellent results. You may also see improvement of large pores and pitted acne scars.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL IT TAKE TO SEE THE "BEST RESULTS?
To achieve maximum improvement of pre-cancerous (actinic keratoses) sun damage, skin tone and texture a series of three treatments three to five weeks apart is the most effective. (Some patients with just actinic keratoses are happy with one treatment and a "touch up" on stubborn areas four weeks later.)
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES?
1. Sunburn confined to the treated areas with redness and peeling for a few days to one week.
2. Temporary swelling of the lips and around your eyes if these areas are included in treatment. This
usually lasts a few days.
3. Darker pigmented patches called liver spots that are actually lentigos will become darker and then
peel off leaving normal skin. (This usually occurs over seven to ten days.)
4. Repeat treatments may be necessary as this is not an exact science.
5. Those on a "financial budget" may have to plan for this treatment.
1. Easier for patients than repeated topical liquid nitrogen, Efudex (5FU), or Aldara
2. The activated Levulan/Photorejuvenation treatment at our clinic is with little discomfort.
3. Reduced Scarring and improved cosmetic outcome compared with cautery, surgery and Efiudex.
4. In contrast with systemic photo sensitizers, persistent sun sensitivity is not a problem past the first 48
hours - with this new topical approach.
5. Improved the whole area treated such as the full face creating all one color, texture, and tone rather than just spot treating with liquid nitrogen, cautery and surgery.
6. Levulan - Photo rejuvenation matches the "ideal treatment" for actinic keratoses.
7. Well tolerated (essentially painless)
8. Easily performed by a specialty clinic environment
9. Non-invasive (no needles or surgery required)
10. Excellent cosmetic outcome (particularly in cosmetic sensitive areas of the face)
Hair Removal Pictures
FAQs about Photoderm/laser
CALL FOR A CONSULTATION (530)-246-0236
About Dr. Reece |
Skin Care |
Medical Treatments |
Cosmetic Procedures |
Dr. Reece's Art Gallery |